All about Instagram Highlight Covers and why do you need them
What is the first thing people see when they access your Instagram profile?
Besides your profile picture and your bio, your Instagram story highlights are right in the top of my list. They are at the front and center of your interaction with followers and are the best indicator of what you and your brand are all about.
Instagram highlights are one of the best ways to make a great first impression for the clients who visite your social media, but they also draw attention to your Story content.
Differently from Stories, your story highlights have a more permanent place in your profile. This is a good reason to take the time to plan on how to take best advantage of them and use them to your advantage to promote your brand. The best part is that you don’t need to be an influencer to use them.
Story highlights are prime real state for sharing important information with your clients… Having a highlight cover for your profile provide a polished look for your Instagram Highlights and draw attention to your best Instagram Story content.
It makes it attractive in a really aesthetic way (a little bit like “heyy look at me, I’m all pretty”) But even if you are not internet savvy, have no experience with Instagram, or just know I’m ready to give you something good; you can create your own personalized and stylish covers from scratch… And in this post I will teach you how to use them to stand out.
1. What are Story Highlights?
If you have been using Instagram for a while, you know Instagram stories disappear after 24 hours. But Instagram developed a (not so new) feature called Highlights, that allows you to extend the life of your stories and shelter them in your profile. This feature allows your followers to see all your important stories after that 24 hours period.
Instagram Highlights are groups of stories that are stored as folder sections in your profile. So after you have created your story you have the option to save it within one of your Highlights sections.
You can name all the categories and add custom images or icons to represent the topic of the stories saved inside.
2. How to create your own Highlights
You can save your stories as highlights to keep relevant content live in your profile. To do this:
- Once you access your Instagram, go into your Story. Tap the Highlight in the bottom right corner,
- Choose the Highlight you want to add your Story to. Or tap New to create a new Highlight.
- Enter the name of the new Highlight
- Click Add to create.
Want to Convert Followers into clients?
Download our FREE Instagram Highlight Icons below
3. How to create Highlights from your profile
To add stories from your archive, follow the steps above:
- Go to your profile and tap the +New button (the big plus sign)
- In the new window, select the stories you wish to add in the Highlight and click Next.
- Tap Edit Cover to choose which story will appear as the cover of the Highlight or upload an icon.
- Enter a name for your Highlight
- Tap Add or Done to finish.
4. Why are Instagram Highlights so Important?
Instagram Stories have become the main source of communication between brands and followers. Stories can help you engage, connect, and convert new followers into potential and loyal customers. Understanding the possibilities of Instagram stories can help your social strategy thrive.
Having important videos, messages, and stories of your brand can help your followers understand how your business operates, answer frequent questions, and provide a better experience. The main reasons why you need to use Instagram Highlights, are the following:
- You can use them to share ongoing stories.
- Make important and resourceful content available for your followers.
- Educate them about previous activities.
- Showcase products or services.
- Provide a library of useful content that you’ve already shared.
5. How to add Instagram Highlight covers or icons?
Branded covers are gaining huge popularity among brand accounts due to the fact that these small icons are a prime real state to showcase your brand and are one of the first things a new visitor will see when landing in your profile.
Before you start, please add the icon images in your phone’s camera roll and follow these steps.
- Go to your profile and hold your finger to the Highlight you want to edit
- Tap Edit Highlight
- Tap Edit Cover
- Choose the photo from your camera roll
- Tap Done
Check our gallery below on how you can create your own Cover images: